Embracing innovation and research to deliver world class evidence based educational modules
The NARU Education Centre is a world-class national ambulance training centre that helps protect ambulance staff and trains them to save lives in the most difficult of circumstances.
Based at a UK police and military training installation, the NARU Education Centre has been responsible for training thousands of specialist operations ambulance personnel to respond to a range of challenging incidents throughout the UK.
Its activities cover:
- Initial Hazardous Area Response Team (HART) Incident Response (IRU) Unit training
- Initial HART Urban Search and Rescue (USAR) training
- HART continuity training and coordination of specific modules such as personal protective equipment (PPE) training
- Command education – both single and multi-agency
- Specific table-top exercise writing and facilitation
- Specific live exercise planning
- Evaluation of educational modules
- Research based development of future modules
- Logistical support in terms of facilitating stockpiles and issue of PPE and associated equipment
- International liaison with training
“The aim of the NARU Education Centre is to do as much as possible to mitigate the inherent risks to staff of deploying to particularly difficult, challenging or dangerous incidents.
We do this by ensuring that they are thoroughly trained and professionally equipped to protect themselves and their colleagues whilst treating patients and ultimately saving lives in extremely hazardous situations.”Dave Bull QAM, NARU Education and Command Training Lead
The Centre has a world class range of facilities available on-site and also uses a number of other training facilities throughout the UK, such as those belonging to the military and local fire and rescue services.
Education is based upon the integrity of safety critical systems such as standard operating procedures, the competency of staff to perform operational duties and the maintenance of high quality educational products.
We will embrace innovation and research to deliver world class evidence based educational modules, enhancing the resilience of Ambulance Service operations, the wider NHS and influencing multi-agency partners.The NARU Education Centre Vision