With the start of Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week, Public Health England is advising people to have their fossil fuel and wood burning appliances – such as boilers, heaters and cookers – checked by an appropriately registered engineer before winter sets in.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless and tasteless gas which is difficult to detect. At high levels CO poisoning can cause sudden collapse, loss of consciousness and death. Other symptoms of CO poisoning include headaches, drowsiness, dizziness, chest pains, nausea and vomiting.
There are around 40 accidental deaths a year from carbon monoxide poisoning in England and Wales .
Dr Simon Bouffler of Public Health England’s Centre for Radiation, Chemical and Environmental Hazards (CRCE) said:
Many of these deaths take place between November and February due to faulty fossil fuel and wood burning appliances giving off this lethal gas. These deaths are preventable.
To lower the risk, people should ensure that their fossil fuel and wood burning appliances are regularly checked by an appropriately registered engineer. Public Health England recommends that people have these appliances and their flues checked before the start of winter. Rooms in which appliances are used must also be adequately ventilated.
PHE also recommends that people should fit an audible CO alarm which meets European Standards EN 50291 in their homes.
The installation of an alarm, which can be bought from most DIY retailers, should not, however, replace regular servicing of all fossil fuel and wood burning appliances by a registered engineer.
It is estimated that around 4,000 people attend accident and emergency departments in England each year because of carbon monoxide poisoning . Although most of the 4,000 people would not be sick enough to be admitted to hospital, it is known that long-term exposure is associated with neurological effects - such as having difficulties in concentrating.
Dr Bouffler said:
Although carbon monoxide is difficult to detect, there are sometimes indicators that may suggest a fault with domestic appliances or flues. The signs of trouble are black sooty marks on the radiants – the clay bars above the gas flames – of gas fires, sooty marks on the wall around stoves, boilers or fires, and smoke accumulating in rooms due to faulty flues.
In addition, yellow instead of blue flames from gas appliances is another sign that there may be a fault with the appliance - although this does not apply to ‘fuel-effect’, ‘living-flame’ or ‘decorative-flame’ gas fires as they are designed to look like flames from solid fuel appliances.
If you see any of these signs, or suffer from any of the symptoms mentioned, turn off your appliances, open your windows and have an appropriately registered engineer check the appliance as soon as possible. You should also see your GP and tell them that you think you might have been exposed to carbon monoxide.
Notes to editors
For interviews or more information please contact the PHE press office on 01235 825405/406.
Carbon monoxide advice is included in the Cold Weather Plan 2013 published by PHE.
Further information on carbon monoxide can be found on PHE’s website.
A video about carbon monoxide can be found on www.nhs.uk.
Carbon monoxide poisoning reduces the oxygen-carrying capacity of blood and so starves vital organs of oxygen. As more carbon monoxide is breathed in, less oxygen can be carried in the blood and symptoms worsen. Reversal of symptoms experienced by those mildly poisoned occurs on breathing non-contaminated air or through the provision of 100% oxygen.
Public Health England’s mission is to protect and improve the nation’s health and to address inequalities through working with national and local government, the NHS, industry and the voluntary and community sector. PHE is an operationally autonomous executive agency of the Department of Health. www.gov.uk/phe Follow us on Twitter @PHE_uk
Useful external links:
- National Gas Emergency Service – call 0800 111 999
- Gas Safe Register http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk
- Oil Firing Technical Association (OFTEC) helpline – call 0845 65 85 080 or visit http://www.oftec.org
- Solid Fuel Association (SFA) helpline – call 0845 601 4406 or visit http://www.solidfuel.co.uk/frame/main.html
- HETAS (for registered solid fuel engineer) 0845 634 5626
 Range from 25 to 45 between 2006 to 2011
 Further information can be found at: http://gp.dh.gov.uk/2011/09/27/carbon-monoxide-poisoning-alert/
Public Health England press office
Telephone: 01235 825 406
Out of hours: 0208 200 4400